In terms of expertise, Dr Karen Sutherland is:
- A marketing, communication and public relations professional with 20 years’ experience working with companies such as ABCTV, Grundy Television, Fremantle Media International , The Australian Red Cross Blood Service and Monash University.
- An experienced provider of social media workshops, coaching and consulting to organisations within Australia and internationally including New York-based social enterprise, Thankful.
- An award-winning Social Media Educator who was also a finalist in the Social Media Marketing Institute’s Best Social Media Educator of the Year Award 2019.
- Co-Author of Public Relations and Strategic Communication from Oxford University Press and sole author of Strategic Social Media Management: Marketing, Advertising and PR from MacMillan International Higher Education (in-press).
- The Academic Ambassador for the Social Media Marketing Institute.
- A University graduate with four degrees (communication, marketing, film and TV) including a PhD focusing on social media.
- A Social Media Researcher with work published by a range of peer-reviewed journals and media outlets.
- The Program Coordinator of the Bachelor of Communication (Social Media), social media major and social media minor at the University of the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, Australia.
- Regularly invited to speak about social media at industry events and provide expert commentary to the media.
- The Discipline Leader of Public Relations at USC, Australia.
Dr Karen’s passion is providing
simple and effective social media solutions
to business and nonprofits
without the jargon.
Dr Karen’s formal qualifications include:
- PhD – Monash University – Towards an Integrated Social Media Communication Model for the Not-For-Profit Sector: A Case Study of Youth Homelessness Charities.
- Master of Marketing (with Merit) – University of Newcastle.
- Postgraduate Diploma of Arts (Research) – Monash University.
- Bachelor of Communication – Monash Universty.
Dr Karen’s approach to social media is best described as:
- Continuing conversations that convert.
- Long-term customer relationships.
- Social media and offline interactions as one blended customer experience.